Schooldays.ie - Ireland's Online Resource for Parents & Teachers

Parenting & Education

× Home Parents Associations About Us

Being taken advantage of

re... : Being taken advantage of           reply
18/01/2017 11:22 - How Much Should I Charge or Pay
-----------------------------------
Hi
Just wanted to ask about rates where you mention €100 for one child for two days or €180 for two kids for two days per week? I´ve been asked to mind two children 8am till 6pm daily one in primary school and one in playschool so dropping both and collecting both.Have been offered €75 per day I was going to ask for €80 per day as dropping and collecting both petrol etc does this sound ok?
Should you get paid while the youngest is in playschool ?
Thanks

19/01/2017 18:15 - How Much Should I Charge or Pay
Sounds like parent wants hold all the cards. There are times I offer pay as they use but only where it suits me. If your two days were my only work no way. You´ll find yourself missed around and it will soon dawn on you your being used. When I offer pay as you use I see it as extra to my gauranteed income so bonus if work, delighted with free time if not needed.

18/01/2017 17:03 - How Much Should I Charge or Pay
Summer are you in your own home or children´s home.

Being taken advantage of           reply
08/01/2017 14:33 - How Much Should I Charge or Pay
Need some advice please, I have been looking after 3 siblings 2 days a week for the past 4 months, one in primary school, one in playschool and one toddler, originally I quoted the parents 75 Euro per day and I would provide food excluding dinner and I wouldn´t charge extra for school holidays they wouldn´t agree to this and offered me 65 Euro and they would provide all food, I eventually agreed to this as I was new to childminding despite being fully qualified in childcare and having worked in various childcare settings, the father works shifts and I was told that I would know a week in advance which two days I was needed the following week, now they are not giving me the weeks notice and I find myself on call 5 days a week, they don´t send enough food so I end up having to feed them plus they are still only paying me 65 Euro per day during school holidays and the kids are eating me out of house and home! I really feel taken advantage of and feel that 65 Euro is pittance when they expect me to be on call 5 days a week, I can´t make any plans in advance but don´t know how to handle this situation, I know I have left myself wide open , what can I do?

18/01/2017 19:27 - How Much Should I Charge or Pay
Hi
Thanks for the advise am just starting out so looking into insurance etc am Garda vetted.They suggested 75 per day and I said 15 extra for food over two days to include breakfast lunch and dinner .
Also they mentioned not paying if one child was sick , I think it would be normal to get paid as other wise you can´t rely on the income ?
I had thought €80 per day and €7 per day for food?
Only two set days and no pay for bank holidays or days that I don´t have the kids holidays etc ..
Yeah thought about the petrol but didn´t think of wear and tear on car and things like that thanks .

18/01/2017 19:18 - How Much Should I Charge or Pay
Its approx 5e for one child and 8euro an hr for two assuming you insured etc. However as its only two days 10e an hr is more appropriate when you the two, majority charge for preschool as youv now fuel, wear and tear, car insurance issues, don´t underestimate the cost of these. Who is doing food? Its a long day also. Don´t forget cost for days national school closed. Are days set or flexibility required, if second charge extra as it gets very messy iv found. Make sure discuss are you needing payment if one or both days not used.
If it changes to kids house its minimum wage at least and you become an employee, its often a case a family looking a childminder, agree everything and after week or two its a nanny one becomes dressing kids, housework etc.

re : Being taken advantage of           reply
08/01/2017 23:22 - How Much Should I Charge or Pay
Arrange a meeting asap...be very careful as very easy fall out with parents (hope they not friends/family). Just say you need draw up a written contract and get parents to sign it stating the arrangement between ye. If youv written contract in place already as your registered I douth this family going to change unfortunately. A family that doesn´t send enough food! Or it maybe they cottoned on to fact your a bit of a pushover. Have you spoke/popped a note in bag saying something nice like x was hungry today so could do with more tomorrow as you´d hate see x go hungry. Im afraid you´ll have to toughen up, especially if your registered, it´s your contract family has agreed to.
A little white but say your needed for a family situation that has arisen and need to know days so your always available for their booked days or something. Or simply give notice and start new with another family.
Providing a childminding service comes with expenses and its important to cover them or one is working for very little. How many hours is the 65euro for?

18/01/2017 17:42 - How Much Should I Charge or Pay
Hi I think it would be in my own home when I start .

re : Being taken advantage of           reply
09/01/2017 18:35 - How Much Should I Charge or Pay
Wow! I would be telling them its not good enough!!
I am notified, Insured, garda vetted and have first aid . . . I would simply not work for that, for €130 per week, minding 3 kids!
For 2 days a week it would be €100 for one child, €180 for two and €240 for 3, you´re a business and they´re treating you so disrespectfully! If they don´t like it, they can go elsewhere, I have my own family to support!!
I would be terminating the contract (if you have one) or tell them you are charging them XX amount and it can either include meals or not, that is up to themselves! Also a contract would be done (if not already done) and you have to know at least a week in advance or you´re not available! I would also be making sure I have at least 2 - 3 week deposit (maybe 3 weeks as it is only 2 days)
It sounds like more trouble than it is worth to be honest!
If they were set days you could have a chance of filling the other days but 2 days that change week to week . . . you´re basically working with no chance of filling thee other days for €130 per week!
You deserve better, speak up for yourself xx

discussion forum terms & conditions

;