Schooldays.ie - Ireland's Online Resource for Parents & Teachers

Parenting & Education in Ireland

Schooldays.ie - Ireland's Online Resource for Parents & Teachers

Parenting & Education

× Home Parents Associations About Us

Am I paying too much for a private childminder or are I being fair?

Am I paying too much for a private childminder or are I being fair?           reply
04/10/2013 08:41 - How Much Should I Charge or Pay (Locality: Dublin West)
-----------------------------------
I feel like Im in a bit of an awkward situation. I went back to work 18 months ago after being out of work for 3 years and my friend offered to take my son, my son is 9 yrs old. She too has a son of the same age and both boys go to the same school and are in fact in the same class. She used to take my son 3 days a week (after school) and brings him to school every day as its very handy. She would have only had him for approximately 2 & 1/2 hours after school before I would finish work and collect him. I was giving her €300 per month for this. Recently my son decided he wanted to do homework club after school which meant I only needed the minder 1 day a week as its not on of a Friday. Because of this I have reduced the money I pay down to €200 per month. I feel that this is a reasonable amount as it works out at €50 per week which in my eyes is a lot for having a child for a couple of hours. I actually think the minder is a bit annoyed at the decrease as when I paid her for September I had decreased one of the weeks to €25 as she only had my son 1 day and only brought him to school 2 days. Her son had been sick for 3 days of that week and I needed to take time off to bring and collect my son from school. Am I being unreasonable with the amount that´s being given? Thanks

re... : Am I paying too much for a private childminder or are I being fair?           reply
04/10/2013 11:36 - How Much Should I Charge or Pay
Thanks very much for the advise. Let me say that we are all that good of friends when we went on holiday her and her family went on hols with us also not as a "work" thing but actually as friends so she definitely wouldn´t have been entitled to be paid for the 2 weeks. Im of the same mind set, if the minder is not available then no pay and vice versa

re... : Am I paying too much for a private childminder or are I being fair?           reply
06/10/2013 22:25 - How Much Should I Charge or Pay
minderofchild is right.have a talk first.i was minding 2 kids last year.i agreed to mind them for 4 hrs m.t.wt.but not on friday.i agreed 120.things changed when the boy.went from senior infants.to first class.the parents dropped the money from 120.to 100.with out discussing it with me.i asked for it to be left at 120.i dont think i was asking to much.they wouldent do it.so i left.it was a bit below the belt.not discussing it with me.in the first place.your situation .is different.though.by rights all ur minder is due is 1 days pay.and i think you are paying her very well.

04/10/2013 10:24 - How Much Should I Charge or Pay
She brings him to school every day but its not out of her way cause as I said her son is in the same class. We have not contract, nothing at all. I even paid her for when we went on holidays for 2 weeks which obviously she didn´t have my son so was not entitled to get paid. I only dropped the money for one particular week as she did not have my son except for a couple of days that she dropped him to school

re : Am I paying too much for a private childminder or are I being fair?           reply
06/10/2013 13:23 - How Much Should I Charge or Pay
You are paying her very well, however, I think it is unwise to adjust payments without a discussion or at least mentioning that you are going to review payment.

04/10/2013 11:22 - How Much Should I Charge or Pay
The norm is 5euro per hour or part of.also if minder is not available to mind
you do not pay but if she is available as in you go on holidays you do pay.
rather then upset your son maybe you could sit down and fix a rate ....as i use a contract and it works, i would say do the same.its about being fair to both sides.
all it needs to say is 1 rate of pay is 5euro per hour or part of.2 no pay due if minder is not available.3 so on till every thing is covered.both have a copy and both sign.
hope this helps . this is about your child being happy so hope you can sort it .
good luck

05/10/2013 14:15 - How Much Should I Charge or Pay
your paying her very well actually.now if you or your son is sick.or take a day of for some reason.and cant make it.then she should be paid.for that day.as she is available.but if she decides to take a day of.then she is not paid.as shes not available.

re : Am I paying too much for a private childminder or are I being fair?           reply
04/10/2013 10:18 - How Much Should I Charge or Pay
From reading, your paying €50 a week for one afternoon and how many school drops (it reads three to me). Your friend is very lucky if thats the case in my eyes. However she may not need the money/job and looks at it as doing you a favour. Have you a contract in place re when you pay and when don´t as cutting money if not agreed between both parties is unfair/sure to lead to upset.
Minding children is a responsible job and iv heard many a time "sure what would you be doing anyway" "its on your way" etc.
Have you priced other childminders in your area? Sometimes if your child is happy the money paid is worth it.

06/10/2013 17:08 - How Much Should I Charge or Pay
I did let her know what the story was regarding payment and days etc. I plan on doing up a mini contract so as we all know where we stand

04/10/2013 10:46 - How Much Should I Charge or Pay
I also forgot to mention that the weekly agreement for having him 3 days was €75 per week so if your only having the child for one afternoon and dropping him school 5 days, €50 per week is more than generous. You cant be expected to still get the same money for less days. its like if Im in work and I miss days for whatever reason I don´t get paid so surely the same rule applies

discussion forum terms & conditions

;