Schooldays.ie - Ireland's Online Resource for Parents & Teachers

Parenting & Education in Ireland

Schooldays.ie - Ireland's Online Resource for Parents & Teachers

Parenting & Education

× Home Parents Associations About Us

After school care by nxt door neighbout (and friend)

re... : After school care by nxt door neighbout (and friend)           reply
01/10/2014 15:14 - How Much Should I Charge or Pay
-----------------------------------
Ok thanks. Yes I´ve already been pulled up in a pm about that comment and let me just clarify I did not mean it to sound that way and I´m sorry if I offend anyone by it. I´m not begrudging anyone of childminding (as I´ve already said) if I was in a position to do it myself I would. That´s what my neighbour kept saying to me ´sure I´m at home anyway´....all I wanted to know was if it were the average rate for part time and I can already see some people are paying a lot more.

02/10/2014 14:08 - How Much Should I Charge or Pay
Thanks for the advice.

After school care by nxt door neighbout (and friend)           reply
01/10/2014 10:15 - How Much Should I Charge or Pay
Hi there,

My nxt door neighbour offered to collect my 4 yr old daughter from school and mind her until we are home and it is for 3 days a week. She does not have meals with them as they don´t eat until her husband is home and by that time we are home also, but sometimes it´s nearly 7 in the evening when we are eating as we have a 12yr old son as well and alot of homework from secondary school to help with and other duties to be done. Anyway, it is costing €75 a week for our neighbour helping out, but alot of friends I have spoke to are paying a childminder €25 a day for full day not from 1.40 to 17.00/17.30 in evening? Obviously will have to pay her more for school hols but feel I am maybe paying a little bit too much for afternoon only? Also it was such an awkward conversation in the beginning about how much to pay and my neighbour suggested this rate, so I am now dreading the conversation about how much it will cost for school hols.
I read a good few posts regarding this already and some prices people are charging are so high, and not all would be registered childminders. Not to begrudge paying for childcare it is a nessessity and have had my children in creches previously so have paid childcare since my son is 4 months old and it is some people´s careers but I feel it should be different when someone helping out and they are at home anyway?

01/10/2014 14:52 - How Much Should I Charge or Pay
Sorry youv such a long post n no edit facility here..my 20euro was for one child in my house....is she minding both your son n daughter in her house.

re : After school care by nxt door neighbout (and friend)           reply
01/10/2014 14:48 - How Much Should I Charge or Pay
I would charge 20euro for your hours so 60euro. How far is the school? Im in a rural area though. Have you priced other minders in your area, might be a real eye opener. If your daughter is happy is 15euro too much extra. Iv a 13 yr old and certainly wouldnt be her cup of tea to be in a childminders with gang of toddlers as in other childminders. Your comment re sure shes at home anyway is very low, shes given up her freedom to help you out as youv put it.

02/10/2014 08:59 - How Much Should I Charge or Pay
So glad you can be open re that comment, just I hear it all the time from other mums who think its great to be rolling in money while i catch up on daytime tv while kids play n sleep all day not to mention I get all housework n garden done during the day.. I turn away more work than have for various reasons...
Only way to judge prices correctly for your area is to actually ring or mail ones available but its very hard to judge whats life is actually life in their homes unless you visit....if I followed dublin prices parents around here would have all died off shock....

02/10/2014 08:01 - How Much Should I Charge or Pay
i would tread carefully with this one.to be honest though if it was me i wouldent really bother about the extra 15 euro as i know my kid is with a neighbour/friend.this time around you could suggest a rate for the holidays.dont forget theres a weeks holiday coming up this month.you could say 40 a day if its a 9 hour day.you wont really find anyone who will do a full day for 25 euro.thats 2.80 for a nine hour day.

01/10/2014 15:15 - How Much Should I Charge or Pay
No just my daughter.

07/10/2022 11:39 - How Much Should I Charge or Pay
For afterschool I would expect to pay €10 per hour plus a pick up charge if the school is a distance away. Also start time is when minder needs to leave to go to collect not at time school ends.

discussion forum terms & conditions

;